First Assessment trip-
Escuela taller santa maria josefa rossello
Schedule of Events
Saturday January 3, 2015
- We had the opportunity to get to know our host community better. The area we stayed in is known as La Casitas.
- During the day we picked up our professional mentor, Gary, from the airport.
- We also scheduled and planned our first trip to Santo Domingo.
Sunday January 4, 2015:
- We began our morning by attending mass in the local community.
- After mass we had the opportunity to tour the school for the first time.
- During the day we scheduled a meeting with the Asociación De Padres, Madres, y Amigos de la Escuela. (APMAE)
- We also contact the local Rotary Chapter.
Monday January 5, 2015
- We began Hach testing on the raw cistern as well as in the boys restrooms. The Hach tests analyzed some of the chemical properties of the water such as the Nitrate, Nitrite, pH and Iron levels as well as total alkalinity and total hardness.
- Ibrahim and Gary analyzed the current conditions of the pipelines and the stability of the current sewage system as well as the old sewage system. We wanted to make sure that the old sewage system to ensure it does not pose the risk to contaminate the new cistern.
- During the day we took necessary measurements in the school yard.
Tuesday January 6, 2015
- While visiting the the school we administered hygiene surveys in the schools. The distributed survey included questions about hand-washing frequency, where the families of the children typically got their water, and how long it takes for the families of the children to get water to their home.
- We tested the generator that had been donated by Father Ron's cousin to ensure that it worked.
- We had to opportunity to visit the Don Juan Water Treatment Plant.
Wednesday January 7, 2015
- Our team made revisions to our current PMEL documents.
- We visited hardware and plumbing stores in Don Juan and Monte Plata to create an inventory of potential supplies.
- We had to opportunity to take a Day Trip to Nagua.
Thursday January 8, 2015
- We made a day trip to Santo Domingo.
- We had to pleasure of meeting with the Rotary Club Bella Vista for a luncheon.
- We visited hardware and plumbing stores in Don Juan and Monte Plata to pick up necessary supplies.
- We picked up the PML tests from FedEx and later during the day began PML Incubation I.
Friday January 9, 2015
- Our team also signed the Project Partnership Agreement together with members of the Escuela Taller Santa Maria Josefa Rosello school community, the Daughters of Our Lady of Mercy, and Father Ron Gaesser Projects: El Portal de Belen which affirms the partnership between these organizations as we move forward with our Water System project.
- This was the first opportunity to visit the school while it was in session. At the school, our team worked together with the Brothers of the Sigma Chi Fraternity to deliver gifts to the children.
- We also continued our PML tests today and conducted PML Incubation II.
Saturday January 10, 2015
- We took indicator measurements.
- Later in the day, we presented gifts to our very generous host families.
Sunday January 11, 2015
- We began our morning by attending mass.
- After mass we visited a community where the Peace Corp Volunteer, Tiven, lives and works.
Monday January 12, 2015
We departed Don Juan, Dominican Republic to return to the University of Rochester after a successful first assessment trip. We are very excited to begin our work this semester as we enter the design phase of our project!